AUSTRALIA’S RICHEST RACE
A dozen sprinters will race over 1200m at Randwick for a record $10 million prize money, with $5.8 million going to the winning connections.
WHO’S CONFIRMED SO FAR?
Only five of the 12 slots have been confirmed so far with a sixth – Coolmore’s spot – looking likely to be filled by unbeaten Irish sprinter Caravaggio.
Blake Shinn has been booked to ride English
* Three-time TJ Smith Stakes winner and favourite Chautauqua (trained by Hawkes Racing) – Greg Ingham’s GPI Racing slot
* Golden Slipper winner She Will Reign (Gary Portelli) – Yu Long Investments
* Magic Millions winner Houtzen (Toby Edmonds) – Aquis Farm
* Challenge Stakes winner Everest (Gai Waterhouse and Adrian Bott) – TAB
* Intelligent five-year-old Fell Swoop (Matthew Dale) – Inglis
WHO OWNS THE OTHER SLOTS?
Australian Turf Club, Jadeskye Racing, James Harron Bloodstock, Chris Waller Racing, Whitby Syndicate and The Star Casino.
HOW DO THE SLOTS WORK?
Each slot costs $600,000 each year and buyers are committed for three years. Slots can be sold, joint-ventured or leased as seen in the partnership between Darby Racing and Yu Long.
While the slots fund most of the prizemoney, $2.8 million will be generated from wagering, sponsorship, broadcast rights and other revenue from the race meeting.
WHAT RACES WILL TRAINERS USE AS A LEAD-IN?
The Shorts on September 16 and Premiere Stakes on September 30 – both Group 2 sprints at Randwick – will offer nominated horses a chance to race round the bend ahead of the big show on October 14.
Get the latest information on The Everest at https://www.justhorseracing.com.au/the-everest